Here at Double Gobble we are primarily an Oscars blog, but that doesn’t mean that it’s the only awards show that we watch. In fact, some arguments can be made that the Golden Globes may actually be more entertaining. We won’t go that far, but here are 5 reasons why you should definitely check out the Golden Globes tonight at 8pm on NBC:
1. The Golden Globes have two separate Best Picture categories, one for Best Drama and one for Best Musical or Comedy, so for those of you who favor more comedic films over sweeping dramas this is the awards show for you. Even if you’re not a fan of musicals or comedies, the ten films nominated in these two categories are generally a pretty good indicator of what will be nominated for the Academy Awards.
2. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler (there have been promises of “feet tweets” and Pink-style aerial acrobatics).
3. Alcohol + celebrities + comedic hosts = hilarious viewing and awkward gaffes. See: 2014 Golden Globes drinking game.
4. Some would argue that some of the best writing and acting in the entertainment industry today can be found on the small screen and, unlike other awards shows, the Golden Globes honors the best shows on TV (plus you get to see your favorite stars of the big and small screen mingle together – we are rooting for a shot of Jack Nicholson staring at Sofia Vergara creepily from across the room).
5. Since it’s the first big red carpet awards show of the season, stars pull out all the stops to look their best. You can catch a variety of red carpet interviews before and after the awards. We recommend watching E!’s after-party when celebrities are already sure to be two sheets to the wind while attempting to string together coherent sentences.
Bonus – Woody Allen is being honored with the Cecil B. Demille award for his lifetime contributions to the world of movies. Since he is refusing to accept the award, we don’t have to sit through a stammering acceptance speech and, instead, we will be treated to the glamorous Diane Keaton accepting on his behalf.
For some previous Golden Globes drunken hilarity check out the following video: